Background

Monday, June 13, 2011

Jersey Shore!

   Last Thursday temps were nearing 100 degrees so we took a trip to the Jersey Shore!

We were worried about sunburn on the kids so we had both of them in shirts and suits.  Mykee's legs got a little red, Adam's face was very red, and Evan and I escaped with a little color.  Good old SPF 45!


Yep, leaving this one small- otherwise my white legs will blind you! 


Mykee liked to brace herself in the waves and try to stay standing- most of the time she stayed up!
I asked her to do a pretty princess face...





Crying because he couldn't fill his shovel in the waves- it kept spilling when he'd try to run out of the water!









    Friday night we went camping to Jenny Jump National Forest.  Though Friday was very fun, the night was definitely not!  It started raining about 11PM... and never stopped!  When it was still raining at 6:30 in the morning and the kids were up and ready to play we decided to pack up and go.   Adam slept through the night seemingly without a problem even with his legs getting dripped on in the tent!  Mykelle woke up sideways on her mattress- dodging the drips near her head and feet.  Evan and I stayed dry, though I don't think I slept longer than 20 minutes!  The rough night made Saturday pretty dreary!

   We went up with Ryan and Erin Teeter and the Fails family, Jerry, Danae, Calista, and Eden.  Erin and Ryan made us all tinfoil dinners that were excellent!   The kids played around the campsite with bugs, dirt, sticks, and shells.  They went down around 9PM and the adults were able to sit around the campfire and chat.  It was really fun and would have been a lovely Saturday of eating, hiking, and good company had it not rained so much!

Evan helping the Teeters set up camp.

Finding "wormies" under the log






We rented a 25 person campsite for the night- it was big enough for our three families with room to spare.

My husband the Fire Master!


The Teeters are musically talented- the kids wanted to play Ryan's instrument with their dirty hands...

Dinner!



   After the horrible night of camping and packing up early to get home we found ourselves really tired!  The kids were relaxing on the couch watching a movie while I decided to go see X-men (loved it by the way).  Adam was browsing on his Ipad when I left.  I came home two hours earlier to a quiet house.  Adam met me at the door and said the kids were hiding from me because I'd be mad at them.  And Adam said I'd be mad at him too...  So Adam asked me to try to figure out what the kids had done.  I looked around the house with trepidation... Evan started talking to me as he came out of the bedroom and Adam told me to look closely at Evan- this is what I saw:


   Mykee had used the child scissors to cut Evan's hair!  Adam said he'd fallen asleep on the kid's bed (and why he thought I'd be mad at him, since he was supervising) and he woke up to Mykee saying, "Evan, do you like your new haircut?"  I could barely keep a straight face!  I was laughing so hard, but trying not to let Evan and Mykee see that I thought it was funny!  They were so cute, and obviously so worried that I'd be really mad at them.  I gave them a stern talking-to as Adam covered his smirking mouth while I tried to be angry.  Of course, it's been three days and he still has the new do.  We'll be buzzing him soon!

   The pic below is from this morning.  Mykelle and Evan were drawing Father's Day cards when Mykelle started asking me what different numbers looked like.  So I started writing and she asked to count to 100.  Initially I thought I didn't have time to be drawing with the kids, but how cool that she'd want to know!  The accountant blood is coming out in her...  So I decided to write the numbers down until she got bored- she did NOT get bored and wanted me to go on after we reached 100!  It was really neat to see her excitement and the dawning of comprehension on her face.  She has been able to count to 20 no problem, but was confused at which numbers came in which order next.

    After counting she wanted to sing her newly memorized song for me- I Am A Child of God.  I was once told that nobody is born tone-deaf.  I disagree and fully believe my children received their Mommy and Daddy's tone-deaf genes and will never be able to sing well!  But they sure are cute trying!!





   Mykelle and Evan's BFFs came over for a play date.  You know they're at the age where any child that will play with them is their BFF, but they really do love John and Kate.   They spent time playing with bugs, in the sandbox, and picking flowers but were bored after about 45 minutes.  So I broke out the Crayola washable sidewalk paints.  They were busy for the following hour and a half!  It was very fun, but very messy!












4 comments:

  1. I really wish we could have gone to the Shore with you. Camping was fun though, except the not sleeping part. Oh, and it's a right of passage for every girl to give her little brother a horrible haircut. At last Mykelle didn't cut her own hair, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, my kids have never cut each other's hair... John has tried to cut mine but just hasn't been successful.

    And by the way, I've fallen asleep while alone with my kids. It happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I would have been laughing so much if it had been Mykelle's hair that was cut! I'm pretty sure I never cut my bro's hair when I was little, but I know they cut each other's, and I gave more than one Barbie a new do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mykee asked why we don't have sharp scissors in class and only plastic ones (after trying to cut her finger)...I told her it was to make sure no one's clothes or hair got mistaken for paper :) All plastic only works if they hold the scissors correctly so it also teaches them proper use in more ways than one!

    love the chalk...make sure she does not learn the power of kool-aid in hair:)

    ReplyDelete