Background

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Adam is 8 Years Old!!

So what do you do for a leap year baby who is having only his EIGHTH birthday in 32 years??  Well, since being out of the country isn't exactly affordable/doable and that's what he asked for, I had to come up with some other idea.  And with a 3 and 4 year old in the house... It wasn't too difficult!

We got out the cake mix...


While licking the cake mix Evan was making Mykelle laugh.  She said, "Evan, you are so silly!!  Why?"  His response was priceless, "Because Jesus made my body that way and He wants me to be silly!"  
Yes, it is a "Leap Frog" cake for my manly husband!  The kids helped and really enjoyed playing with the sticky slap frogs when they finally came off!  Mom contributed by sending the sprinkles to Adam for his birthday- YEARS old sprinkles she has had in her cupboard forever... Well we ate them and didn't die!  
Adam had a busy birthday- off to help a friend move at 7 in the morning, then to work to teach a class in the library.  Afterward his work threw him a little birthday lunch where they gave him toys and a card appropriate for an 8 year old!  And one really nice cross-stitch framed quote of Leonardo da Vinci, "The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding."  Then it was another meeting before he could head home to this:


I made my famous Awesome Thai Chicken Coconut Curry for dinner- one of Adam's favorites and the kids love it too!  After eating dinner our new neighbors came to celebrate with cake and ice cream!  The Guardiolas are really a great family- they have a 9 year old daughter and a 5 year old daughter, both are super sweet and get along really well with our kids.  Moises is the Elder's Quorum president and Adam is his first counselor.  Since they now share a home (it's a duplex, we are not that weird) we joke about the men always having to help people move and do any other service together- they won't let each other off the hook!  Sandra is working on her English (Spanish speaking first!) and does a much better job with that than I do my Spanish!  I guess I should get the Rosetta Stone language learning software and learn me some Espanol!  I need to be able to communicate with her better- she is an AMAZING cook and I could use some pointers!




Adam's present was a couple of silly "urban" CDs, National Lampoon's Vacation movie, "Weird NJ" book on strange things to be found and visited in NJ (summer planning?), and some of his faves- cadbury eggs, gum, and jerky.

Singing!
Thoughtfully making a wish!
Blowing out the candles!!
It was a fun and busy birthday!  I know Adam felt very loved hearing from a lot of friends and family, but he was definitely tired at the end of the day!  I'm sure he's content to wait another 4 years until he has another one!

4 comments:

  1. How cool to have a Feb. 29th birthday! Sounds like such a fun day. I love your new place -- it looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this really is SO cool!! I am SO excited that your husband's birthday is February 29th!! My husband and I were just talking about this and were wondering what do people do when their birthday is leap year day? Do you celebrate on March 1st all the other years or something? I have GOT to know! If you wouldn't mind telling that is... :) Seriously, that is SO cool! I love the cake and the theme you chose to use! Very fun, and very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the compliments! It's pretty cheesy I know, but the kids loved it! When we usually celebrate? Adam has a unique situation- his younger sister (by 3 years) was born on February 28th... so he has always felt like he doesn't have a birthday unless it's an actual leap year! March is too late, and the last day of February was his sister's birthday so he could never celebrate then either! But for the kid's sake and just to have another reason to party we usually do the cake and present thing on the 28th :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, you have literally answered a life-long question of mine! Thank you!! :) And tell your husband happy eighth birthday from us out on the west coast!!
    P.S. I can't believe his sister's birthday is on the 28th! What are the odds!

    ReplyDelete