Background

Thursday, September 1, 2011

6 Month Check-up

I came home from my 6 month check-up yesterday feeling like I wanted to scream and hit something.  Hard.  My PET scan shows some lymph nodes that were reactive to the contrast I had been injected with.  The doctors were optimistic that it's not lymphoma but said we need to watch it closely so I'll be going back in 6 weeks to repeat the scans instead of 3 months.

The doc said not to worry, and then suggested that I'll be losing sleep over this for the next six weeks and told me if I needed anyone to talk to I could call there anytime.  He also offered to biopsy the nodes right away if I wanted it, but his recommendation was to wait the six weeks so I didn't have to have another, possibly unnecessary surgery.  After hearing all this and observing the seriousness of his manner I was not very inspired NOT to worry...

But, after dwelling on it for a bit I don't think I'll lose much sleep.  My feeling is that it's nothing, and will turn out to be a fluke (remember the last PET scan at 3 months?  My tonsil lit up and ended up being nothing!).  But just in case, send a few prayers my way? :)

4 comments:

  1. Prayers are on the way! I'm crossing my fingers also that this is as you suggested, just a similar situation to the past tonsil issue. Love to you, Skip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope everything turns out well. You are such a trooper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that stinks! I still worry all the time so they gave me ambien. Not like worrying every minute of every day but in a way that I overwork during the day trying to take advantage of every minute I have left and have a hard time falling asleep because I can't shut it all off at night. It's just enough to help me fall asleep. So if you do have a hard time - it's an okay sleep med (I only take 1/2 a pill a night actually) that doesn't make for weird dreams. In the meantime I will pray for you! I hear that PET scans have the highest false positive rate. My Dr only did one - he orders CTscans mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be in my prayers. You truly are in inspiration.
    You must have been one of the strongest, courageous, bravest
    Souls to have been chosen to inspire those around you. Thank you
    For helping me see that with God all things are possible!

    ReplyDelete