Background

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Unicorns & Scriptures

My Little Beauty

Mykelle, Evan, and I were watching The Last Unicorn where at the end, the Unicorn leaves the prince standing on the shore, alone.  She turned to me looking devastated and said, "The Princess Unicorn doesn't like the Prince anymore!"  I explained to her that girl unicorns can't marry princes because princes are humans, not unicorns.   Her response was, "Then the prince could be a boy unicorn and they could both get married and have so much fun!"  She went on to tell a story about her cousin, "Andrew could be a unicorn and I could be too and we could dance- it would be so much fun!  I wish for that.  I will dream for that."  I love her imagination!  And I can't bear to tell her that she can't marry Andrew... He is a first cousin after all (though I hear it's legal in some states:).  She is always telling Evan  that she can't marry him because he is her brother but she will marry Andrew instead.  

Soon after the movie was over the kids were playing "snakes" on the wood floors.  Evan started biting my legs and Mykelle was putting bandaids on me.  I became distracted with the laundry and kept hearing Mykee telling Evan to have a bite of her scriptures.  It didn't really register, since they often pretend to be eating odd things anyway.  Then, I heard a ripping noise...


Mykelle was holding out the page to Evan as he slithered across the floor and letting him take chunks out of her new Book of Mormon!  I had to get angry with her for damaging her brand new book but it was funny too.  She only let him take bites out of the end pages!  Some in the front and some in the back. I'm surprised she let him do it because she has been so excited about having her own scriptures (she was given them at the stake Primary activity on Saturday).  She even took the scriptures with her to the park today so she could, "Sit on a bench and read them."

We went to the library after the snake incident and I have to say, I am excited about our visit!  I've tried to go with the kids a few times over the past year and it has been a nightmare: both kids ran around like crazy people and were super loud and could care less about looking at books.  I kept trying thinking they would improve and they didn't!  Well this time I had a chat with them about being quiet in libraries and looking at books and threatened them to leave if they didn't follow instructions.  They were angels!  We brought home some great books, DVDs, and audio books (with hardcopy).  Mykelle played on the computer for awhile and Evan picked out a few books of his own.  Afterward we went to the park nearby.

Mykelle LOVES these climbing walls and does very well with them
First time on a Merry-Go-Round... Brings back memories!  I thought these were a thing of the past- safety hazards
Evan had to take his baby with him.  He has been really into it lately and
wants me to "help the baby talk" to him whenever I am can.


This evening after Adam came home we went to another park to feed the geese.





This goose on its nest had a mate that hissed at us and tried to chase us down!

Creepy caterpillars- the kids were very interested in the silk,
since they've been learning about caterpillars and spiders lately. 

The creepy "Troll Bridge"
The trolls under the bridge!

The other day we had a mini celebration for our friend Melissa's birthday, complete with mini cupcakes. We didn't have enough for everyone to have seconds- there were only 4 left.  So, Adam and I challenged Melissa to put all four mini cupcakes into her mouth at once.  And if you know Melissa...  She took that challenge and passed with flying colors!




4 comments:

  1. My kids love the merry-go-round park and request it frequently! Safety hazard or not, those things are fun!

    I'm so glad you made it to the primary activity on Saturday!

    Beautiful pictures of a beautiful spring day. I'm so glad you're back to being "you." It's inspiring to see you embrace life once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trolls under the bridge are the best looking ones I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that first picture of Mikey is adorable.

    The kids are going to like climbing on my just completed climbing wall.

    I have a bear cave to show the kids, too. A real one, just above Stan's house on the side of the mountain (really just an old Seven Dwarf mine).

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the pictures are so cute!! Mykee is growing up so fast. I cannot wait to play house with the kids and go exploring too!

    ReplyDelete