Background

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

3 Month Check-Up

Good news!  My PET/CT scans came back *mostly* negative.  Which is good!  Except for the odd "mostly" part.  My doctor said that everywhere there was cancer before, it is gone now.  YAY!

However, there is a little spot in my left tonsil that was "glowing" a little- meaning that it picked up the radioactive contrast that was injected into my bloodstream for the scans.  The doc asked me if I had been sick when I received the scans or if I noticed anything different with my tonsil.  I was not sick but I have noticed my already humongous tonsils had gotten bigger after chemo(actually, just the left one).  She acted like she wasn't too concerned, that it was probably fluid from being sick or something that picked up the contrast.  BUT, I could still go see an ENT (Ear, Nose, & Throat doc)  if I'd like.  Like to?  No, but will I? Probably, or my mother would fly out here and beat me with her cane. :) Love you Mom!

It was odd going back to the cancer center after being gone for two months.  I had basically lived there for three weeks in February and prior to that had been visiting 3-4 times a week for months.  Everything seemed the same, except that I was one of the "healthy" patients instead of the obviously sick patients.  I enjoyed seeing some of the same people I had often see there and catching up.

The part I particularly did not like was speaking with another woman who had hair about the same length as mine.  We started talking about how nice it was to have growing back.  She then told me she was three months out from having been in remission and the cancer was back- she was going to do a stem-cell transplant like I had done.  I felt so bad, and didn't really know how to console her- not that she needed consoling.  She was very positive and had the support of her husband with her, but I still felt so sad that I was getting better and she was just going back to the old treatment.  It made me scared too for my results!

My next scans are scheduled for the end of August.  In the meantime, I'll go visit an ENT and enjoy living as healthy and happy a life as I can!

1 comment: